Self-care has become a big topic lately with a lot of people talking about the importance of taking care of yourself. On the surface it seems like a 'gee duh you should be taking care of yourself' but it's so easy to get caught up in being busy, in getting things done, that you lose track of taking some time to give yourself some love. I know that's been the case for me for a while so now I'm trying to make sure I take some time out each week to do at least 15 minutes of something that relaxes me, makes me happy or fills up that creative well.
Since starting self-care can seem a little overwhelming (and sometimes feel really selfish too), I wanted to just share some of the things that I've been doing. Don't be afraid to start small, you don't have to go all out on a spa retreat to relax. Also, there is no 'perfect' relaxation. Don't get so stressed out that you're not relaxing enough that your self-care just becomes one more thing on your to-do list.
So here are some things that I enjoy:
- Drinking a glass of water slowly
- Bubble baths
- Face masks
- Watching silly cat videos
- Playing video games
- Hanging out with friends
- Calling friends
- Sending thank you emails to people who've made an impact on my life
- Calling my senators and voicing my opinion
- Donating to worthy causes
- Picking up around the house
- Making my bed
- Using my essential oils to make my room smell magical
- Kitty cat snuggles
- A good, cute book
- Great British Bake Off Marathon
- Simple stretches
- Singing in the car
- Listening to my favorite podcasts
- A warm cup of tea (without any caffeine)
Self-care doesn't have to be complicated and it doesn't have to look like anyone else's either. Do what makes you feel good, what relaxes you, and remember that you are worth taking care of.